So setting goals helps me and motivates me building reasonable decks, going to tournaments and being competitive in the games. One important thing is that these goals must be (realistically) achievable. Winning a tournament is a reasonable goal, winning the Last Chance Qualifier, Day 1 and Day 2 tournament in a Continental Championship is not.
Some of the goals I set myself in the past included the following:
- getting a game win in a (local) league game.
- getting a game win in a tournament.
- reaching a final in a tournament.
- qualifying for the continental championship (I failed to do this for four consecutive years (2004-2008))
- winning a tournament.
- winning the local league.
- winning a major tournament (national championship or qualifier) -- this is a tough one
- making it to the VtES Hall of Fame (one tournament only missing here)